Duran Duran reissue and expand their one truly great album, plus issue a live document of their ascendancy to transatlantic superstardom.
For the last 20 or so years Duran Duran have essentially been a post-fame band, racking up albums, pleasing their very devoted fanbase, occasionally trying new things, and becoming an admirable pop fixture that no longer communicates with casual listeners. Though their loyalists will howl at the notion, the Duran Duran people care about is the one that recorded Rio and drank cocktails underwater.
Duran Duran Rio Special Edition Torrent. The rest of the album was recorded in the early months of 1982 at Air Studios in London, with producer and engineer. Oct 14, 2009 - Duran Duran reissue and expand their one truly great album, plus issue a. But what's on evidence on the deluxe edition of Rio isn't so much. Duran Duran – BBC In Concert: Manchester Apollo, 25 April 1989 (digital download. 'Fox' is available for the month of March via www.tedthelab.com as a free download. 11 /– Following the recent expanded 2CD reissue of Duran Duran's Rio. Seven and the Ragged Tiger (Ltd. Special Edition) includes the digitally.
The band made most sense at its most successful. Rio isn't just front-loaded with some of the era's most bulldozing hits, it's still Duran's best shot at an artistic legacy. Their first album was made by a group shaking off its David Bowie and Japan crushes, Seven and the Ragged Tiger was a grand and flimsy folly: Rio is where the band's hunger for success really catalyzed its mix of rock, disco, and heartthrob pop. You can't understand the 1980s without watching the promos for 'Rio' (yachts!) and 'Save a Prayer' (elephants!), but the album has higher peaks. 'Hungry Like The Wolf' is the group at their most lustily, nonsensically exciting, and the self-mythologizing 'Hold Back the Rain' supercharges the band's early synth-pop sound and strafes it with gated snare drums to magnificently shameless effect. As for 'The Chauffeur', Rio's big art-rock climax, it's a new wave 'A Whiter Shade of Pale': cryptic, stately, sealed into its time but defining it.
Special Edition Austin
Rio is, as it was in 1982, a romp of a record-- so how does loading it with extras affect that? Early believers in the power of 12' mixes to widen a band's range and transform their songs, Duran Duran were-- often justly-- proud of the extended 'night versions' they created for their singles. But what's on evidence on the deluxe edition of Rio isn't so much transformation as commercially minded perfectionism. With the record selling slowly in the US, they had most of the first side remixed to sound punchier and more dancefloor-ready. These 'Carnival Remixes' sit next to the songs' UK original mixes and the Night Versions-- and in some cases the demo versions too-- and the differences honestly aren't great enough to justify listening to all of them. The 2xCD package is probably best used as a way of recreating whichever version of Rio floats your nostalgia yacht.
Live at Hammersmith '82! is a different matter. Recorded that November, just before Rio's American success put Duran through the fame barrier, this CD/DVD release is a picture of a group who know they're big but are tantalizingly unaware quite how big. There's no sense of distance in Simon LeBon's enthusiastic stage banter, and it's only the extreme pitch of the screams when 'Save a Prayer' or 'Hungry Like the Wolf' are announced that make you realize quite how hot Duran Duran had become. More importantly, the group sound fantastic. The rock side of their make-up is higher in the mix and Nick Rhodes' synths play a less decorative role than on record, dropping back into the rhythm section to muscle the songs forward. The set throws Rio tracks in with the best of their debut album-- a raucous, proto-Britpop 'Friends of Mine' is a highlight-- and shows a Duran Duran who clearly loved playing music together. Which does more than any number of bonus mixes to tell you how they won those loyal core fans in the first place, and why a pop band whose closest brush with brilliance was 27 years ago are still in the game.Back to home
The 2009 Rio reissue (pictured) is being re-released as a digipack
Duran Duran‘s classic 1982 album Rio is being made available again this summer as a two-CD deluxe edition.
The 2009 double-disc reissue was packaged as a deluxe 60-page ‘casebound book’ with textured sleeve and featured a well-balanced selection of bonus tracks which included the US album mixes of five tracks, original demos, non-album singles and B-sides and the various 12-inch mixes of the era. The new version maintains the track listing but will dispense with the book-style packaging, instead making do with a digipack presentation.
It was noted by some at the time that it was rather crass to have the words ‘Limited Edition’ spoil the aesthetic of the front cover, but at least it does seem to have genuinely been limited since this set has been out-of-print for a while.
Rio will be reissued on 22 June 2015. A one-CD remaster will also be made available.
- • UK Pre-order: Rio
- • GERMANY Pre-order: Rio (2cd Digipack)
- • FRANCE Pre-order: Rio (2cd Digipack)
- • ITALY Pre-order: Rio
1. Rio (2009 Remastered Version)
2. My Own Way (2009 Remastered Version)
3. Lonely In Your Nightmare (2009 Remastered Version)
4. Hungry Like The Wolf (2009 Remastered Version)
5. Hold Back The Rain (2009 Remastered Version)
6. New Religion (2009 Remastered Version)
7. Last Chance On The Stairway (2009 Remastered Version)
8. Save A Prayer (2009 Remastered Version)
9. The Chauffeur (2009 Remastered Version)
10. Rio (Us Album Remix) [2009 Remastered Version]
11. My Own Way (Carnival Remix) [2009 Remastered Version]
12. Lonely In Your Nightmare (Us Album Remix) [2009 Remastered Version]
13. Hungry Like The Wolf (Us Album Remix) [2009 Remastered Version]
14. Hold Back The Rain (Us Album Remix) [2009 Remastered Version]
Rio Duran Duran
1. Last Chance On The Stairway (Manchester Square Demo)
2. My Own Way (Manchester Square Demo)
3. New Religion (Manchester Square Demo)
4. Like An Angel (Manchester Square Demo)
5. My Own Way (7” Version) [2009 Remastered Version]
6. Like An Angel (2009 Remastered Version)
7. Careless Memories (Live)
8. The Chauffeur (Blue Silver) [Early Version] [2009 Remastered Version]
9. My Own Way (Night Version) [2009 Remastered Version]
10. Hungry Like The Wolf (Night Version) [2009 Remastered Version]
11. Rio (Night Version) [2009 Remastered Version]
12. New Religion (Carnival Remix) [2009 Remastered Version]
13. Hold Back The Rain (Carnival Remix) [2009 Remastered Version]
14. Simon’s Christmas Message 1982